Proverbs chapter 4
This chapter is filled with small tidbits of instruction from a father to his son. The qualifications of the father to teach were given in verses 1-4. They are basically that he can teach his son because he, himself, was taught by a right and wise father..
Learning what to do is KNOWLEDGE.
Knowing what to do is UNDERSTANDING.
Doing what you know is WISDOM
GET WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING: (Verses 5-9)
- Key verse 7
- Wisdom is the most important and best thing to get
- Along with wisdom, be sure to get understanding
- Detailed Benefits
- Preservations, verse 6—From folly & from harm and danger
- Promotion, verse 8
- Careful attention to wisdom will result in you becoming the kind of man who can be promoted
- Wisdom acted upon brings one to a place of honor
- Prosperity, verse 9
- A crown of grace for your head
- A crown of glory on your life
HEAR & HEED MY SAYINGS: (Verses 10-13; 20-22)
- Key verse 13
- Grasp instruction in a way that it will not escape.
- Keep hold on her, for she is crucial to life.
- The years of your life shall be many (verse 10)
- You will avoid the errors that could cost you your life from illness or injury.
- you will avoid things for which God might have to chasten you.
- Your pathway will be unimpeded (verse 12)
- No hindrance in the pathway of life.
- even haste shall not be hindered.
The one teaching urges this, because he is sure his teaching is correct (v. 11)
- Ramification (vs. 20-22)
- Listen (v 20)—Heed (v. 21)—Benefit (v. 22)
AVOID THE WAY OF THE WICKED (Vs. 14-19)
- Commandment (Vs. 14-15)
- Stay away from the wicked and the path they walk.
- A strong statement in four-fold prohibition
- Caution (Vs. 16-17)
- They find no rest unless they have done something to someone.
- Even their bread and wine (the regular course of their lives) is tainted with violence.
- Contrast (Vs. 18-19)
- The path of the just grows brighter until it reaches the perfect day. (V. 18)
- The way of the wicked is dark, becomes darker, and leads to an ultimate fall (V. 19)
LIVE LIFE CAREFULLY (Vs. 23-27)
- Keep thy heart (V. 23)
- Be diligent with thine heart
- The issues of life come out of your heart
- Keep thy lips (V. 24)
- Put away a crooked (double talking) mouth
- Put perverse (perverted) lips far from thee
- Keep thy eyes (V. 25)
- Let them look straight before thee.
- Make them refrain from looking at what they should not see
- Keep thy feet (Vs. 26-27)
- Consider the places you allow your feet to go.
- Make sure all your ways are thought out.
- Do not turn aside from the proper path.
- Keep out of the ways of evil.
Fatherly advice is offered in the interest of helping you. This is a tremendously, helpful chapter filled with the most practical wisdom. A wise son will heed the instructions of a wise father