DOCTRINE OF THE CHURCH (Ecclesiology)
INTRODUCTION: The word translated “Church” comes from two Greek words, ek, which means “out of,” and kaleo (call-eh-o), which means “a calling” This leads us to the conclusion that the New Testament church is a called out assembly of believers. The words church and Churches are found 114 times in the new Testament of the KJV bible.
So a New Testament church is a local assembly of called out baptized believers who on a regular scriptural basis assemble for the carrying out of God’s command and commission and for the providing of fellowship, strength, edification encouragement, and Christian growth to God’s people. Therefore, God’s plan for a Christian’s life will always be connected with that local institution called the church.
Foundation of the Church: Matt. 16:13-19 (“…Upon this Rock…”
- The Question: “Whom do men say I the Son of Man am?”. Verses 13-17.
- The Particulars of Christ’s Church. Verses 16-19.
- Christ is the Foundation. Verses 16-18.
- Christ is the Builder and Sustainer. Verse 18.
- Christ is the Authority. Verses19.
- Christ Established the Church in this World. Verse 18-19
What is the Church: I Cor. 12:12-31
A Body of baptized, biblical taught believers
A Body with a head
It is a unified Body
It is a functional Body
It is a Bride
Ordinances of the Church: Baptism and Lord’s Supper (Acts 2:41-42; Luke 22:19-20; Matthew 28:19.)
Officers of the Church: Pastor and Deacons (I Tim. 3:1-16)
Orders of the Church: Luke 24: 47
CHARACTERISTICS OF CHRIST’S CHURCH: Matthew 16:18; 18:17.
The Church is Christ Institution. Matt. 16:18; Ephesians 5:25; Acts 20:28.
The Church’s ‘Head’ is Christ. Matt. 16:18; Ephesians 1:22-23; Colossians 1:18.
The ‘Local/Visible Assembly’ of The Saints. Matt. 16:18; 18:17; 1 Cor. 11:17-18, 20, 22; 14:23.
The Church’s Worship. Matt. 18:20; Acts 2:41-42.
- Gospel Preaching/Teaching. Acts 2:42; Matthew 28:20.
- Lord’s Supper/Baptism. Acts 2:41-42; Luke 22:19-20; Matthew 28:19.
- Praying. Acts 2:42; 4:24.
- Singing. Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16.
- Ministering to One Another. Acts 2:42; 1 Corinthians 12:25.
- Evangelizing the World. Mark 16:15-16.
Stewardship of the Church: Luke 12:42-48; Matt. 25:14-30 (Time, Talents, Treasure)
Destiny of the Church: Revelation 21:9-27