THE BLESSED MAN
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
HE WALKS NOT IN THE ASSOCIATION WITH SINNERS; v. 1 .
1. He refuses to be unequally yoked with unbelievers; II Cor. 6 :14 .
2. He refuses to have fellowship with the unclean; II Cor. 6 :17 .
3. He refuses to welcome the ungodly into his home; II John 10.
HE IS NOT A STUMBLING BLOCK TO SINNERS; v. 1 .
1. He is commanded not to be a stumbling block; Lev. 19 :14 .
2. He should not set up idols that would be stumbling blocks ; Ezek. 14 :3-5 .
3. He should not do anything that would hinder others; Rom. 14 :13 .
III . HE SITS NOT IN THE SEAT OF THE SCOFFER; v . 1 .
1. The scoffer doubts the wisdom of the Lord; Psa. 73 :11 .
2. The scoffer doubts the Second Coming of Christ; II Peter 3:3,4 .
3. The scoffer mocks the messengers of the Lord; II Chron . 36 :16 .
HE DELIGHTS IN THE WORD OF GOD ; v . 2 .
1. He delights that the Scriptures have proceeded from the Lord; Matt. 4 :4 .
2. He delights that the Scriptures testify concerning Christ; John 5:39 .
3. He delights in searching the Scriptures; Acts 17 :11 .
HE IS LIKE A TREE PLANTED BY THE RIVER ; v . 3 .
1. Like the roots of a tree, he has a firm foundation; I Cor. 3 :11 .
2. Like the body of a tree, he grows straight; Eph. 4 :15 .
3. Like the branches of a tree, his hands reach upward; Psa . 134 :2 .
HE HAS A LIFE OF FRUIT BEARING; v. 3 .
1. He bears fruit by abiding in Christ; John 15 :5 .
2. He bears fruit that glorifies God the Father; Matt. 5 :16 .
3. He bears fruit that abounds to his account ; Phil. 4 :17 .
VII. HE HAS ‘ A LIFE THAT IS KNOWN BY THE LORD; v . 6.
1. The Lord knows the ones who are righteous; II Tim. 2 :19.
2. The Lord knows the need of the righteous; Matt. 6 :8 .
3. The Lord knows the way the righteous shall take; Job 23 :10.