Things that Unite-One Spirit
The one Spirit unites by giving us 1) one mind, 2) one voice, 3) one mission.
MY OBJECTIVES & AIM:
Each hearer will be able to show how the Spirit unites us together in each of these things. To promote unity among the body of Christ by looking at the Spirit’s work in unity.
- Read: Ephesians 4:1-6
- About the Text:
1) Here is the foundation for unity.
2) Paul set’s forth seven great “ones” in this passage.
3) We are to endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4) One of those “ones” is the one Spirit.
5) Let’s note a few things in relationship to the one Spirit and our endeavor for unity.
MESSAGE: The Spirit unites us by giving us…
- One Mind
- We must have the mind of the Spirit-Romans 8:1-9
- We can know what that mind is because of the things the Spirit teaches-1 Cor. 2:6-13
- The Spirit has revealed all of those things to us through the inspired apostles-John 16:13.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.5.
5. By studying these things, we drink of the water of life that the Spirit gives.
1) 1 Cor. 12:13, For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
2) John 7:37-39
- By having one mind based upon the teaching of the Spirit, we can have unity.
1) 1 Cor. 1:10, Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
2) Phil. 2:1-2
If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
- One Voice
- The Spirit is not divided upon the message that He reveals.
1) 1 Cor. 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
2) Eph. 2:14-22
- There is only one gospel message.
1) Gal. 1:8-9
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
2) Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
3. When we have one mind, we will then have one voice.
1) 1 Cor. 1:10 “speak the same things.”
“10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.”
2) Romans 16:17-must “mark” those who do not speak the same things.
“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.”
3. We then, in turn, take that message to others, by having one voice through the Spirit, we can have unity.
III. One Mission
- The Spirit shared in the ministry and mission of Jesus.
1) Mark 1:9-13
2) John 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
3) Luke 19:10 “seek and save”
4) John 12:28 “Glorify thy name.”
5) John 3:34 “without measure”
- Christians are born of both the water and the Spirit and so share in that ministry as well.
1) John 3:5 – born of water and of the Spirit
2) Through the one Spirit, Christians share in the Lord’s mission-
- Seek and save the lost with the gospel (Matthew 28:18-20).
- Glorify God in all things 1 Cor. 6:19, 20.
3) Christians have the indwelling of the Spirit-Romans 8:10-17.
- Christians work under the direction of the one Spirit
1) 1 Cor. 12:4-6 there were differences back then, but the one Spirit guided their work.
2) Today the same Spirit through the Spirit’s revealed words must guide us. 2 Tim. 1:13, 14
3) Acts 20:27-28 The elders, appointed by the Holy Spirit, are to feed the flock with the whole counsel of God.
- By having one mission as guided by the one Spirit, we can have unity.
- The one Spirit truly unites us by giving us through His words…
1) One mind. 2) One voice. 3) One mission.
1) Notice the beautiful unity between the Spirit and the church: “The Spirit and the bride say ‘come.’ He that is athirst let him come.” (Rev. 22:17)
2) Both invite you today to respond to the Spirit’s message of unity.
3) If you are a Christian, then let the Spirit guide your life through His words; have the mind of the Spirit.
4) If you’ve turned back to the flesh, then “you are none of His.”
5) If you are not a Christian this morning…
- Hear the word; Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing…”
- Believe with all your heart; Hebrews 11:6 “For without faith it is impossible….”
- Repent of your sins (Acts 17:30).
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
- Confess Jesus as the Son of God (Matt. 16:16).
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.