THE JOY OF LOYALTY
BELIEVING CONFIDENCE IN GOD
REFUGE IN GOD, THE HIGHEST GOOD
Psalms 16:1 -11
1) Preserve me, O God: for IN THEE do I put my trust.
2) O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;
3) But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
4) Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.
(This prayer is of Christ, most likely representing the prayer of His heart in the garden of Gethsemane just before His arrest and crucifixion)
5) The LORD is the portion of MINE INHERITANCE and of MY CUP: thou maintainest my lot.
6) The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a GOODLY HERITAGE.
(HE truly has a goodly heritage because God is his choicest possession. His stability is based upon God’s constant leadership.)
- Jesus truly had no inheritance (no place to lay his head. Matt. 8:20)
- Nevertheless Psalm 2:8 his Father says He has a goodly inheritance (the nations)
- Christ must first drink from a bitter cup (Matt. 26:39)
7) I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: MY REINS also instruct me in the night seasons.
(The older term for reins refers to “kidneys or heart” which is symbolic of inner emotions. The kidneys and their fat were always to be burnt in sacrifice, to indicate that the most secret purposes and affections of the soul are to be devoted to God.)
8) I have set the LORD “ALWAYS BEFORE ME”: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
(By night as well as by day, in His private meditations as well as in his public professions, He has regarded Himself always as in the presence of God.) Let us endeavor always to feel that, his eye is upon me.
9) Therefore MY HEART IS GLAD AND MY GLORY REJOICETH: MY FLESH ALSO SHALL REST IN HOPE.
10) Nor thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11) Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. KJV
Verse 9, my heart is glad (In the assurance of perfect deliverance.)
Verse 9, and my glory rejoiceth – “my glory,” i.e., my soul, the most honorable part of man.
Verse 9, my flesh also shall rest in hope – rather, shall dwell in security or safety.
Verse 10, Wilt not leave my soul in hell. (His body buried, his Spirit descended, He returned to rise from the dead before his flesh could begin to decay.)
Verse 10, No corruption
Verse 11, at thy right hand, (The pleasures of immortal souls in the immediate vision and fruition of an eternal God.
(This is the first of 21 Biblical references to Christ ascending to the Father’s right hand following His resurrection.) Read Psalm 110:1. (GOD THE SON IS WAITING ON GOD THE FATHER TO SAY “IT IS TIME TO GET MY CHILDREN”
Many thoughts used of men of God to develop these thoughts. Or better yet, thank you God for your Holy Spirit and godly men.
Till then lets WORSHIP HIM, WALK WITH HIM, AND WORK FOR HIM